So you want to go on a vacation that is not just all fun and games? You may be wondering is there people out there that actually want to learn something on their trip. Well there is, our family loves to go on vacation to relax as well as learn something. No matter where we go, we try to incorporate something learning into our trip. Sometimes this learning takes place a little more before we leave so that we can see that particular place or thing while on vacation.
So how can you incorporate learning on your trip?
- Learn about the places you are going. Like a few years ago, we learned about the different countries that are in Epcot so that we knew a little something about each one before we got there.
- Go to museums that interest you. There are tons of different types of museums out there and all you have to do is find them.
- Go to National Parks. National Parks are great learning places. Most of them have a museum or visitors center with information and displays in them. The brochures on the different places are full of information and all you have to do is read it. A lot of times we will read it afterwards because it has so much information in it. Your children can also participate in the Junior Ranger program and get a badge and a certificate for completing it. Just beware you might learn just as much or more than they do.
- Go to places that have a history. Like if your child loves to read the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, take them to see where they were written in Missouri. They will see where the books were written.
- Go to a fish hatchery and learn about science.
- Have kids write a short report on something before the trip or after the trip on a particular subject matter that they will be seeing or have seen.
As you can see there are many ways to incorporate learning into your trip, not just for your child but for you also.